The Learning Model of the PGDM Program is designed to find the leader in you and covers a broad ground with case studies and real life projects
LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME (LDP)
On joining, all students of the Post Graduate Diploma Program at the SSB go through the Leadership Development Programme (LDP), which is unique as it is based on a 360-degree feedback and introspection. It inculcates a spirit of team play and leadership through a series of lectures, discussions, workshops and group practice sessions. Essential skills for leadership like effective listening and communication, presentation, team building, assertiveness and problem solving are developed. You get to learn the technical skills, emotional intelligence and cognitive abilities required to be a leader.
Some of the benefits of the programme can be summarised as follows:
- The LDP fosters the spirit of team play and leadership
- Learning takes place through interactive lectures, discussions, workshops and group practice sessions
- The programme focusses on effective listening and communication, presentation, team building, assertiveness and problem solving
- It incorporates a 360 degree feedback
- The programme also helps you develop your strengths even more
The LDP focusses on individual growth through a three-fold approach of self-reflection, peer evaluation and facilitator intervention. Leadership development is most effective when change is backed by assessment and support. And change itself is to come out of your comfort zone and learn from new experiences.
360-degree or multi-rater feedback uses carefully structured questionnaires to systematically collect opinions about a person’s behaviour/ performance from 6 or 7 people- like workplace superiors, colleagues and subordinates- who have valuable perspectives on the person's strengths and areas of development.
- The feedback is ready by the start of the programme for distribution to the individual students during the session.
- The feedback is directly sent by the rater to a central source and the individual receives an overall summary only.
- The feedback is not used for any evaluative purpose and the questionnaire is so designed that resistance to seeking and giving feedback is minimised.
- The students are assigned to small learning groups with one designated coach. The coaches help students explore their feedback; develop personal goals based on the feedback they have received; and plan to take up challenges to strengthen their leadership capability.
After summarising the strengths and developmental areas, the individual is ready to move towards evolving a developmental plan. Usually one or two strengths and one or two developmental areas are chosen to work on. These developmental plans are written down based on the SMART objectives (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time based) and are likely to achieve the desired results.
Students are offered experiential skill-building workshops during the week-ends over the first four terms. The themes include:
- Interpersonal Skills
- Working Effectively in Teams
- Presentation/ Communication Skills
- Business Problem-Solving
In these workshops, students learn skills such as, listening, asserting a point of view, presenting and facilitating, leading others and building personal assets. As the groups go through a number of sessions and experiences together, the 360-degree feedback is repeated after four terms by obtaining feedback from the other members of the group. This helps the students in understanding how they are progressing with respect to their individual leadership development agenda.
PLANNING AN ENTREPRENEURIAL VENTURE
The curriculum of the Post Graduate Programme in Management at the Indian School of Business offers various electives to the students. The students decide on the electives keeping in mind their career aspirations. One such elective which is very popular amongst the students is Planning an Entrepreneurial Venture (PaEV), as it offers guidance on setting up your own entrepreneurial venture. You get an exciting introduction to the process and practice of entrepreneurship and new venture creation.
The PaEV elective is favoured by the students due to the following reasons:
- It helps you identify an entrepreneurial opportunity and prepare a business plan
- It familiarizes you with the process and practice of entrepreneurship and new venture creation
- Will be able to equip you with conceptual frameworks for evaluating techno-commercial attractiveness for investment and launching a new venture
- It enables you to understand and apply the techniques and processes used to prepare realistic business plans